The School’s history stretches back nearly 70 years, covering two sites and three sets of trustees. Initially, Barrow Hills was started by the Josephites to be the preparatory school for their senior school, St George’s Weybridge. The Josephite traditions encouraged a strong sense of family where all students were valued and encouraged to fulfil their potential in an atmosphere of mutual respect and compassion. Initially Barrow Hills was based in a tiny hamlet near Weybridge. In 1952 the children moved to their new site at Great Roke in Witley, where the School has remained ever since.
At that time Barrow Hills was an all boys boarding prep, feeding St George’s at Weybridge. Towards the end of 1980’s St George’s had to make changes, including becoming a co-educational day school, leaving Barrow Hills too far away to be considered practical to run together.
By 1990 it was decided that Barrow Hills would be an independent charity, run by Trustees. Barrow Hills then became a day school and co-educational. More recently, the Governing Bodies of Barrow Hills School and King Edward’s Witley were delighted to announce a merger of the two Witley Schools’ foundations with effect from September 2015. Barrow Hills is now part of the Bridewell Royal Hospital Charity. The decision to merge made formal a close relationship that has been forged between the schools over many years and opened the way for closer ties and sharing of resources.
The Old Barrow Hillians Association was founded in 2008. Old boys and girls are urged to ensure the School has their current contact details so that we can keep in touch. Old Barrow Hillians are welcome to revisit and relive their memories of their prep school days. Please contact the School Secretary on email@example.com if you would like to visit.